Get to Zero Net Energy the BONE Structure Way
Zero Net Energy (ZNE) is fast becoming the gold standard for high quality buildings. It is a simple concept: produce as much energy on site as you will use over the course of the year. It is, however, not an easy to reach goal.
In a ZNE Home, your heating, cooling, lights, electric vehicles, computers, TVs, washer and dryer are essentially powered by the photovoltaic panels on your roof—a finite resource limited by the unshaded area you have available!
To get to ZNE both the designer and the builder must work to greatly reduce the energy the occupants will need in the building while maximizing its access to the sun. In order to do it well, you need the following:
Site Specific Conscious Design
- Take advantage of the dominant winds or shelter from them as needed
- Get the most sun to the roof but away from overheating rooms
- Bring the sun in the house over the winter months for free heating
A High Performance Thermal Shell
- Super insulate walls and ceilings to reduce heating and cooling needs
- Make sure the envelope of the building is airtight to avoid drafts and heat loss
BONE Structure integrates conscious design and a high-performance shell in every single home we build. You can learn more about our patented technology and get started on your new home with our step-by-step process.
By Guillaume Bazouin
Director of Product Development