Frequently Asked Questions
General questions about BONE Structure
What is the BONE Structure product?
BONE Structure is a light steel construction system used to build single-family, multi-unit or light commercial buildings. The shell of the home is assembled by one of our certified assembly teams. It can be finished by any general contractor or if available in your area, sold as a turnkey project.
With BONE Structure, you can build homes in a smarter, simpler and faster way, due to our industrialized building processes and our patented components. The strength of the steel allows for many architectural advantages. In some cases, it would be possible to copy them in a traditional wood framed home but it would be costly and difficult to achieve.
BONE Structure can be part of any rural or urban setting. While it is true that BONE Structure generally designs contemporary homes, the structure can be customized and the exterior cladding can be adapted to respect any architectural guidelines or look.
Is BONE Structure a prefab or modular system?
It is important to note that BONE Structure is not a modular or prefabricated system; all the components are pre-manufactured and assembled on site without the need of cutting them. Click here to view an assembly video. The technology used to manufacture the parts is the same that is used in automotive and aeronautical plants.
Can a BONE Structure be built anywhere?
BONE Structure is able to assemble the BONE Structure shell all across North America. We have Authorized Builders in major hubs who allow us to offer turnkey projects to customers in the area they serve.
Not having an Authorized Builder in your region does not mean that you cannot opt for the BONE Structure system. We would send a Certified Assembly Team to assemble the BONE Structure shell. You would need to work with a local builder who would be responsible for the site preparation, foundations, and finishes (exterior and interior).
My city never heard of BONE Structure
The BONE Structure team would be pleased to contact the city officials and provide them with company information. It is important to note that the BONE Structure system is designed in accordance with the International Building Code and abides by any local code.
BONE Structure’s Engineers are able to stamp structural plans in every Canadian Province.
Are BONE Structure homes certified LEED, Build it Green, Novoclimat and Passive House?
LEED, Build it Green, Novoclimat and Passive House are green building certification programs that recognize best in class building strategies, practices and performances. These certifications are project specific and do not apply to products or building system. BONE Structure homes and light commercial buildings fulfill by default the majority of the required standards for these certifications. Features such as BONE Structure’s air tight, energy efficient, zero waste shell is a huge stride towards achieving these green certifications for your project.
Key benefits, advantages and features of BONE Structure
What is the BONE Structure technology?
Discover the BONE Structure technology here.
What are the BONE Structure benefits?
- The thermal resistance of the BONE Structure insulation provides an R-28.5 for the walls and R-56 for the roof.
- Unlike wood, steel is 100% recyclable.
- Minimal waste during the assembly period as the system does not require cutting.
- Our structure is made of galvanized steel which means it is very stable and will not sway. Since the structure will not bend or sway, drywall cracks are virtually eliminated due to the stability of the structure.
- Provides stability in high winds and earthquake situations.
- Designed to resist the worst climatic conditions of any region of the world.
- The BONE System allows customers to have floor to ceiling windows, due to the strength of steel.
- The ceiling height can be different on the same floor.
- The system enables you to build spaces measuring up to 25 feet without having to install intermediate columns or load-bearing walls. In fact, it is possible to have open areas of 25’ x 25 ‘, 25’ x 100’ or even 25’ x 400’!
- Any type of exterior siding can be applied to the structure.
- Can be built on many types of foundations.
- The BONE Structure system allows your house to evolve over time. You have the option to add windows, modify the exterior siding or move internal walls around to reconfigure the space at any time without affecting the integrity of the structure.
- Openings in the beams are pre-cut so that workers don’t affect the integrity of the buildings.
- Vapour barriers are not required saving additional time during construction.
- With a crew of 5 men, the structure is assembled at a rate of 1000 sq.ft. a day.
- 3D design technology provides incomparable precision and enables us to control all the details of your project.
- Steel components are manufactured with the same state of the art technology used to cut machined parts for aircraft and automobiles.
- No use of putrescible material that can cause health-related problems (such as mold issues).
- The BONE Structure frame won’t catch on fire, burn, or get damaged by water or pests, making it alluring future home owners.
- Human error and defects in construction are minimized due to the unique configuration of the BONE Structure system.
- Labour savings compared to traditional built homes due to system manufactured in factory conditions and optimized assembling methodology.
How does BONE Structure compare to a traditional built home?
You will understand that a comparison between the benefits of wood versus steel is in our opinion … INCOMPARABLE! BONE Structure’s patented technology removes barriers. Our structure does not require any load bearing walls which creates large open spaces and allows for grand windows which you cannot obtain with a traditional stick frame. The BONE Structure system is assembled at the rate of 1000 sq-ft per day.
With BONE Structure you can build homes in a smarter, simpler and faster way; due to our industrialized building processes and our patented components. The strength of the steel allows for many architectural advantages. In some cases, it would be possible to copy them in a traditional wood framed home but would it would be costly and difficult to achieve.
What is the fire resistance of a BONE Structure home?
Steel, the main structural component in BONE Structure homes, is a non-combustible material. It therefore does not burn, nor does it provide an ignition source or add fuel load that would enable a fire to spread or grow.
How does a BONE Structure home resist to snow loads, wind forces, earthquakes and floods?
The BONE Structure system is designed under the International Building Code and abides by any local code. We take into consideration the location of the project when engineering the structure of the building.
The BONE Structure shell’s components are made of flood damage – resistant materials making them highly desirable in extreme environmental conditions.
This implies that in a flood scenario the removal and replacement of non-structural elements would be necessary. These cosmetic repairs would tremendously reduce the cost of rebuilding.
Mold being the primary indoor contaminant in most homes. Any water damage can make your home more susceptible to it. Therefore, having components such as steel and polyurethane mousse which are not nutrient sources for mold spores lessens the proliferation.
BONE Structure process
What are the next steps?
Discover the next steps in the BONE process section.
How do I meet with a Project Design Manager?
If you have a lot or your eye on a piece of property and want to set up an appointment with a Project Design Manager, please call BONE Structure’s Customer Service department at 1-855-978-BONE (2663).
If you don’t have a lot and would like to set up an appointment, we could arrange a meeting and determine the exact dimensions of the living areas and modify plans to suit your requirements and your budget, however, we would soon face the many important questions related to the lot. Your home could be completely different depending on whether the landscape of the property is uneven or flat. BONE Structure has a team of Sales Coordinators able to provide information and answers to all of your questions. Please contact them by phone at 1-855-978-BONE (2663) or email by clicking here.
If you don’t have a lot, but you have additional questions, BONE Structure has a team of Sales Coordinators able to provide additional information and answer all your questions. Please contact them by phone at 1-855-978-BONE (2663) or email by clicking here.
What are the different purchasing options?
BONE Structure’s customers may choose between different purchasing options such as:
BONE Structure shell only: It is possible to purchase only the shell from BONE Structure. The shell must be assembled by a BONE Certified Assembly Team. The customer may then choose to manage the remainder of the construction or hire a General Contractor.
The BONE Structure Shell includes:
- Steel structure components
- Furring for interior & exterior walls, as well as ceilings
- Type II expanded polystyrene Insulation Board [3 in.]
- Plywood flooring 13 PLY [3/4 in.]
- Structural insulated roof panels [s.i.p]
Turnkey Project (if available in your area): BONE Structure’s Authorized Builders will be responsible for providing you with a turnkey home. They will take care of all phases of the project. Including site preparation, the BONE Structure shell assembly, the doors & windows, insulation, exterior finishes, MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing) and all interior finishes.
BONE Shell + (if available in your area): The customer may decide to mandate BONE Structure’s Authorized Builder to provide the BONE shell along with some finishes, i.e. shell + the exterior finishes or shell + kitchen. These different options may be discussed with the Project Design Manager during the first consultation.
Can I work with my Architect/Designer?
At BONE Structure, we have a full team of Architects, Engineers, Drafters, Planners and Designers. They design customized homes for our customers. But if you prefer, your personal Architect may design your home plans. In this case, we recommend that he/she discusses with our team, to share some concepts specific to the BONE Structure system.
If your Architect is interested, please have him contact us, so that we may send him the non-disclosure agreement (NDA). When the document is signed and returned, we would be able to send him the Architectural Design Kit.
I am an Architect and I want to design a BONE Structure plan.
If you are interested, please contact us, so that we may send you the non-disclosure agreement (NDA). When the document is signed and returned, we would be able to send you the Architectural Design Kit.
Can I get a custom plan?
Yes, the home models on our website are there to inspire you. BONE Structure has an experienced team of Architects, Engineers, Drafters, Planners and Designers that are able to work with you to achieve the custom plan to suit your property and wishes.
The available design options are:
Use a BONE Structure model and modify the interior design. As we do not have any load bearing walls in our homes, you may move any interior partitions to better suit your needs. This option does not allow you to move the perimeter walls.
Be inspired by a model from our catalog and personalize it. You may choose a BONE Structure model and expand or reduce the square footage. You may also:
- Add a basement (traditional or walk-out).
- Change the configuration of the roof.
- Change the quantity and positioning of openings.
- Add/remove BONE Structure accessories (balconies, decks, canopies and stairs).
- Increase ceilings height.
Start from scratch and create a customized home according to your tastes and needs.
- Our system is very flexible and allows you to realize the project of your dreams.
- Our team of Designers, Architects will create a custom home plan.
- If you so desire, it is possible for you to have your personal Architect draw up your home plans. In this case, we recommend that he discusses with our team, to share some concepts specific to the BONE Structure system. This will also insure that the plans take full advantage of the benefits of working with the BONE Structure system.
Can I build my BONE Structure home?
Yes, you may build your BONE Structure home. However, the assembly of the BONE Structure shell will have to be executed by one of our Certified Assembly Team. The Certified Assembly Team would act as one of your subcontractors for the assembly portion of your home.
Who is the builder in my region?
Before advising, we would need to get a better understanding of your project (the type of project, construction schedule).
With our national builder network, we can assemble BONE Structure homes across Canada and offer turnkey projects around the major hubs. We are always looking to cover new geographic a so that the turnkey option might be available to you shortly.
It is important to note that the design and planning of the home would be done with a Project Manager. BONE Structure’s Project Managers are located across North America.